Sunday, June 5, 2011

Summer begins...

Well, summer officially starts on 21 June... which I know because it's my birthday. But it's summer now. The weather really doesn't care what the calendar says. It's humid and 70-80˚F out right now — that's summer weather.

So, a couple weeks ago I happened to look up at the obsolete tv antenna that towers over the house, and sitting way up there on the top of one of the rods was the male hummingbird. It's amusing to see such a tiny creature sitting way up there, where presumably he's surveying the territory. So, I cleaned up the feeder and made some bird kool-aid for him and the rest of the hummingbirds to fight over... and this weekend I finally got around to taking all the snowflakes down. Yes, I still had vestiges of the winter decorations hanging around the place. Laziness, I suppose.

So, the hummingbirds and the butterflies are now up.







A few years ago I was looking for snowflake Christmas ornaments at Target, and I happened to notice that they had all these resin bird ornaments... so I picked through them all, carefully, and literally bought all the hummingbirds that didn't have broken beaks, as resin is fragile, and these were just hanging on hooks. They had bluebirds and chickadees and goldfinches too, and yeah, I bought some of those as well, but they were all made in a perching position, where as the hummingbirds are flying. (Some day I'll get around to making something that my bluebirds can sit on)

So, anyway, all the birds were painted as the male form of the species... so, I brought them home and repainted them. I made males and females, and went so far as to use iridescent nail polish to make their feathers more authentic. So, every year when I finally let go of my laziness for an hour or so - I get them out and put them up - and they stay up until October or November - long after the real birds have flown south.

I made the monarch butterflies probably about 10 years ago. I suppose it's silly or childish or whimsical or maybe a little 'Flowers in the Attic'-ish, but I like weird stuff I suppose. And if you looked at the pictures and you're wondering - that brown blob on top of my computer is a snail knick knack.



I did some paintings on a whim last weekend, so now I need to scan them and varnish them, and sign them, and print out and attach the labels for the backs of them... I finally went through my paints this week (since the garbage was off by one day in observance of Memorial Day), and threw away all the bottles that were dried up and chunky or almost completely empty. I do that every now and then, particularly when I can no longer fit all the paint into the basket that holds the paint. The overflow of arts & crafts supplies gets to be a little much every now and then...





The summer flowers are here. The irises are blooming! Irises are my favorite flower, hands down. I love them in virtually every color (except the brown ones - that I will never understand). But violet (and any other shade of purple) is my favorite. Violet is also simply and unilaterally my favorite color.

Plus, after probably not having ridden on an actual bike for like 15 years - I bought a bike this weekend. Yes, it's a lavender shade of violet, which was most of the appeal... aside from the fact that it's a female model, adult sized, and has brakes. Yeah, I'm not one of those cyclist people, so, really I bought it because I want a bike to tool around on mostly for leisure purposes - which means riding it around the block in a residential area where I am least likely to be impeding traffic or hit by a car.

Hopefully your summer is filled with color and happy things, and maybe air conditioning, a fan, or the occasional cool breeze.

14 comments:

Bob Bushell said...

Lovely wind chimes.

Catherine said...

I think all your butterfly and birds and snails look terrific Sarah! And how wonderful that you have your summer. I am still waiting for mine. I have some sunshine today, now I just need the heat!
xo Catherine

Out on the prairie said...

I like the critters hanging all over. That iris I think is called Batik.A fun post to read today.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Happy Birthday on the 21st, Sarah.. We'll be on a blog vacation on that date this year!

Looks like Summer is here also... Glad it has come to you --and that you have fixed the inside up to look like summer... Cute little hummingbirds, butterflies, etc... Love them!!!!

Have fun with the new bike.... AND--enjoy Summer!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Montanagirl said...

Very nice post! Love the butterflies and birds.

Kathryn Dyche said...

I love hummingbirds, still waiting for them to show up at our feeder.

Have fun on your new bike, I went out on mine for the first time this year. :0)

S. Etole said...

that iris is a standout!!!

Birdie said...

Sarah,

Thanks for visiting my blog!

I love Hummingbirds too. I like your idea of repainting them.
My fiance have just bought a house together. I have lived in a condo my whole adult life so I am really looking forward to have a yard where I can feed Hummingbirds. I can't wait!

Looking forward to getting to know you in blogland.

rachel awes said...

love all you've collected here
in this post! lovely! xo

cabin + cub said...

So cute... love the hummingbirds and butterflies.
It just got sunny here... finally!!! Can't wait for summer!!!

Hilary said...

Lots here that I can relate to! I love hummingbirds and I thinks it's wonderful that you have them and another favourite .. the Monarchs hanging around your place. Add some dragonflies and I could just move right in. ;)

I also feel the same way about the iris. I have a few of the brown ones in my garden and they just strike me as already worn and spent, even though they're as fresh as their beautiful purple neighbours.

We also share June birthdays.. though mine has already passed.. and MANY more of mine have passed than yours have. ;) I hope you'll have a wonderful day.. and enjoy this beautiful weather.

Dave said...

You do have a thing about hummingbirds huh? They seem to be enchanting little birds. We don't have them here in NZ. Enjoy your bike-riding - Dave

R. J. said...

That's a great idea. I love both and will look into making one for our deck. I feed the hummingbirds with four feeders, but the butterflies are volunteers. I don't think a wind chime would disturb either. Beautiful pictures.

Unknown said...

Aw I love the birds and butterflies, I'm a sucker for kitschy and cute decoration! And also the photos of the flowers are beautiful!