Saturday, April 7, 2012

eggs and bunnies

Have a Happy Easter this Sunday!

I'll be having my nondenominational ham, pink jello salad, mashed potatoes, and decadent carrot cake.  I was never big into carrot cake, but somehow this one really appeals to me, and well, it comes out of a box so when it comes to cooking, you know, it fits into my schedule of not spending more than an hour on a meal.

Easter is a time when I remember to put on rubber gloves when I dye hard-boiled eggs so that I don't have to walk around for four days with colored dye on my hands.  As someone who has been doing art my entire life - I have some embarrassingly stained hands and fingernails a lot of the time.  Being a hand model was never my destiny.
Anyhow, the eastern bluebirds are out there in the backyard building nests in the nest boxes.  They necessitate no dye.

A few weeks ago I bought my bunnies and my cadbury creme eggs and my reeses eggs, and those eggs with the coconut cream. Anyway, these disappeared for a couple years - but the penultimate Easter treat is actually the Cadbury chocolate creme egg.  Those are the greatest Easter candy EVER.

Yes, I love candy. I mean, it's not like it was a secret.

On a virtually unrelated note, I was sifting through my vast collection of CDs the other day and ran across my copy of Warren Zevon's "Wanted Dead or Alive." I love Warren Zevon's music, possibly more than I love those Cadbury chocolate creme eggs.  And I bought that album about 9 years ago, and remember listening to it as I was driving to work. One of my favorite songs is his cover of "Iko Iko." I'm often drawn to songs where I have no idea what the hell is being said. So, a lot of the initial appeal was probably the puzzle of figuring out the lyrics or wondering what they were until I finally remembered to google it.  Anyway, the song has its own history, which you can read here.  I'll just be here playing it on repeat until I need to go cook a ham.

Have a Happy Holiday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love me some Easter candy too : ]
We ran out of ours already, so we had to get more. Do I have a problem with that? No way. The more chocolate, the better!