Saturday, April 9, 2011

paper bowls & nbc green is universal contest

So, a couple weeks ago I went on a handmade recycled paper bowl extravaganza...
And I think I made 36 bowls. At least, when I counted the ones I had finished that's the number that I came up with.

Bowls are a process. First the paper has to be torn and soaked in water. Then that has to be blended. Then the paper has to be strained through a screen, then that has to be pressed into a mould. Then, using a wash cloth, as much excess water as possible needs to be pressed out. Then they need to be left alone for a few days to dry. Once they're dry - they need to be painted on the inside, and then that needs a day to dry. And then they need to be painted on the outside, and that takes at least 2 coats and a day to dry... and then the tree needs to be painted.
It's a time consuming process I suppose.

So, anyway, they're all finally done. They've been painted, signed, and dated, and titled...







There's always something strangely anti-climactic about finishing a project. Because, well, now they all sit in 2 piles in my office... as if to remind me that I need to photograph them in order to list them. So, while they're done, there's still more to do.

But they're done. So, now it's time to move onto one of those other 3-5 projects I have been procrastinating on. Ha.

Anyway, there is a contest over at NBC: http://www.greenisuniversal-reuse.com/
Because they're promoting recycling, upcycling, and reuse. So, this is my entry:
http://www.greenisuniversal-reuse.com/home-decor/recycled-handmade-paper-bowl
(that one is also my favorite... well, one of my favorites)

Anyway, I encourage you all to register & vote ; )

Oh, and in the event that no one has ever seen these before - I sell the bowls in my "sarahknight" shop on etsy. You can find them here

19 comments:

Montanagirl said...

Those are just beautiful. I'm impressed!

Chrissy said...

Very beautiful! Amazing work!!

rachel awes said...

oh my goodness!
i love this gorgeous bowl
collection!!! xo

Anonymous said...

These are so rad!

ju-north said...

Lovely, especially in a group!

Bob Bushell said...

Wow, they are beautiful, well made.

Out on the prairie said...

They all are really nice.

Unknown said...

I just Loooove these.. Believe it or not I made a bowl out of newspaper.. It turned out ok.. Nothing like you masterpieces.. Very cool my friend..

Hugs, Linda

Sueann said...

Beautiful!! I love working with paper pulp!!
And the colors you captured on the bowls is fabulous!
Hugs
SueAnn

Hilary said...

I don't think most folks have an inkling of just how much work and time goes into handmade creations. Beautiful.

Catherine said...

Look at all the beautiful work you have done Sarah! You are an amazing girl ~ they are all so fantastic.

I'm going over to vote now ~ good luck!!
xo Catherine

Dave said...

They look great Sarah - Dave

Jamie said...

They are incredible! So so gorgeous.

Kelly said...

...that looks like a lot of fun. I liked how you showed the process on the Green site. Very cool...as usual! :-)

Happy Little Trees Studio said...

It's a work of art just seeing them all together in your photos!

Gaby Bee said...

What a fabulous collection! I'm impressed!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Gaby

Marcela Gmd said...

Sarah, me encanta el arte! Este post está precioso y colorido. Pásate a visitar mi blog y si te gusta sígueme.
Besos, desde España, Marcela.

nanditark said...

lovely ''spring...'', and these bowls are just too lovely thing to use...
http://nanditark-lifeiscrafty.blogspot.com/

Kathy said...

Wow - these are wonderful. I'm getting together with some friends to make paper bowls for the first time later this week. You're inspiring!